St. Michael Poplar Springs Catholic Church in Mount Airy is seeking candidates for a Coordinator of Youth and Young Adult Ministry (CYM). Weekly schedule is Sunday through Thursday.
"The Church exists to evangelize!" The CYM plays a key role in supporting our evangelizing culture. Reporting directly to the Pastoral Assistant, the CYM's role is to create and support a culture of faith formation and discipleship-making that invites each youth and young adult into a relationship with Christ.
While the CYM primarily focuses on youth and young adults ages from middle school to 35 years of age, the CYM collaborates with other members of the staff, Pastoral Council and partner parishes to invite, engage and support the faith formation of all members of our community with guidance from the Archdiocesan standards.
The CYM maintains responsibility for the development, coordination, supervision, and execution of a comprehensive plan for sacramental preparation and faith formation for youth and young adults, in collaboration with the Pastor, the Pastoral Assistant, all pastoral staff, the adult core teams, and the Formation Committee. The CYM will report to the Pastoral Assistant (PA) to ensure a unified parish mission across ages while keeping focus on the three primary goals of Youth Ministry:
- Goal 1: To empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
- Goal 2: To draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission, and work of the Catholic faith community.
- Goal 3: To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.
And the three primary goals for Young Adult Ministry:
- Goal 1: To connect young adults with Jesus Christ through spiritual formation/direction, religious education/formation, and vocational discernment. To connect young adults to the Church through evangelizing outreach, formation of the faith community, and pastoral care.
- Goal 2: To connect young adults with the mission of the Church in the world through forming a Christian conscience, educating and developing leaders for the present and future.
- Goal 3: To connect young adults with a peer community through developing peer leadership and identifying a young adult team for the purpose of forming faith communities of peers.
Skills, Knowledge, and/or Abilities:
- Must be a practicing Catholic and demonstrate an active commitment to the Church's mission and to the sharing of that mission with youth and young adults. Must have the ability and experience to design and implement a variety of youth-oriented social, service, and worship opportunities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of adolescent, pre-teen, and young adult spiritual and personal development, youth cultures, and sociology. Exceptional listening and empathic skills required; ability to recognize and handle problems within scope of job duties and to refer problems outside of the scope of job duties to the appropriate party.
- Outstanding organizational skills, including calendar and task management, delegation, planning, and budgeting.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with adults and children of all ages.
- Outstanding computer skills, with intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products.
Education, Training, and/or Experience:
- Bachelors' degree in Theology, Religious Education, or Youth Ministry preferred; current advanced catechist certification preferred.
- Minimum of five years' experience in ministry or managing a youth program of significant complexity, preferably in a faith-based environment.