Job DescriptionThe Wesley Foundation at the University of Illinois and Wesley United Methodist Church
Director of the Wesley Foundation / Senior Pastor of Wesley United Methodist Church
The Board of Trustees of The Wesley Foundation and the Staff Parish Relations Committee of Wesley United Methodist Church announce a search for the Director of The Wesley Foundation and Senior Pastor of Wesley United Methodist Church (UMC). In this role, the selected candidate will be chief executive officer of both The Wesley Foundation at the University of Illinois and Wesley United Methodist Church. The Director and Senior Pastor is responsible for coordinating the life of the campus ministry and congregation, communicating the vision and mission of the Foundation and Church, promoting the general interests of the Foundation and Church, conducting the day-to-day administration of the Foundation and Church, and organizing activities toward the strategic goals of the Foundation and Church.
The Wesley Foundation at the University of Illinois and Wesley United Methodist Church are geographically located at the heart of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Wesley UMC is a diverse, welcoming, and affirming congregation that offers individuals, students, couples, and families a place to belong. People of all ages from all over the world gather to worship, study, and serve together at Wesley UMC. The Wesley Foundation, the first incorporated Wesley Foundation in the world, is an inclusive and progressive United Methodist campus ministry of the Illinois Great Rivers Conference (IGRC) that provides spaces and opportunities for students, visiting scholars, and other members of the campus community to gather, connect, explore, and grow together. The Wesley Foundation has a proud tradition of developing young adults into leaders of church and society. The strategic goals of the Church and Foundation include: outreach to and ministry with the campus and local community; the use of online platforms and other creative methods to fulfill our vision and mission and to better connect students, alumni, and church members to the Wesley community; and the development of financial sustainability through endowment, annual fund, and capital project fundraising.
* Oversee the day-to-day administration, finances, and operations of the Foundation and Church.
* Actively engage and energize church members, students, board members, committee members, alumni, partnering organizations, funders, and other people in the community to, as our mission statement affirms, inspire students, transform lives, and enrich the world with Christ's love.
* Participate fully in Foundation advancement and Church stewardship activities. Working with the Director of Advancement and Donor Relations, oversee the development of Foundation and Church fundraising strategies to include an endowment and occasional capital campaigns, as well as annual giving. This includes meeting alumni groups and communicating the vision and goals of these campaigns through written, electronic, and social media platforms.
* Oversee and resource ongoing activities and special events for the Church. Serve as the staff lead for a variety of administrative committees and programmatic work areas, including Worship, and Social Action and Missions, by attending committee meetings and participating in the work of these groups.
* Oversee and resource ongoing activities and special events for the Foundation, including alumni reunions.
* Serve as the staff lead for a variety of administrative and programmatic committees, including Personnel, Finance, Investment, and Advancement.
* Facilitate weekly leadership team meetings for planning and implementing worship, communications, and other programs.
* Prepare and present reports to quarterly meetings of the Foundation Board of Trustees and attend all meetings of the Board of Trustees.
* Oversee management of the buildings and grounds for the Foundation and build positive relationships with lessees. Meet occasionally with lessees to discuss building usage, maintenance, parking permits, and rental agreements.
* Promote campus ministry in the annual conference and participate in all meetings and activities of the IGRC Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry.
* Build collegial and cooperative relationships with campus ministers and chaplains in the annual conference, the Religious Workers Association, and in the Inclusive Campus Ministries Collective at the University of Illinois.
* Provide pastoral care in crisis situations, including at hospitals and care facilities.
* Provide supervision and management for primary staff, including recruiting and employing staff that supports the mission, vision, and needs of the Church and/or Foundation.
* Must be an ordained elder in the United Methodist Church.
* Five to seven years of proven successful administrative leadership in a church and/or academic setting.
* Five to seven years of demonstrated capacity in employee supervision, financial acumen, and management of physical properties.
* Demonstrated experience in successful fundraising and funds development.
* Demonstrated ability to build relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization.
* Demonstrated experience working in collaboration with diverse populations and cultures in an economically diverse community. Familiarity with contemporary social concerns, including food insecurity, immigration, mental health, and social justice.
* Proven effective in communicating to diverse audiences and communicating vision, mission, the Gospel, and fundraising appeals through narratives.
* Excellent written, verbal, listening, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Ability to organize, multitask, and work self-sufficiently in a team environment.
* Demonstrated ability in visionary and strategic leadership.
* Utilizes current research and continuing education to inform work and ministry.
* Experience with online ministry and social media platforms.
* Experience in ecumenical practices.
* Experience in connecting with young adults.
* Excellence in creative preaching with demonstrated awareness and fluency in diverse styles of liturgy and music in traditional and contemporary worship.
* In-depth knowledge and understanding of United Methodist Church structure and polity.
* Knowledge of and/or experiences with the United Methodist Church's general boards and agencies, or other officially recognized entities.
* Willingness to travel.
* Proven success with endowment and capital campaigns.
* Experience with young adults in a collegiate setting.
* Ability to creatively connect and engage with persons in the community not currently connected with a faith community.
Email resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Closing Date: Friday, May 6, 2022
Wesley UMC and Wesley Foundation are Equal Opportunity Employers and actively seek and encourage applications from minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities. All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully completing background,
Organization: The Wesley Foundation at the University of Illinois and Wesley United Methodist Church
Contact: Cianta Hogan
Closing Date: 05/06/2022