The Director of Youth Ministry for Trinity United Methodist Church will support the church's vision to be a Christian community inviting all to gather in love, grow in faith, and give back in joyful service with specific emphasis on developing our student's call to live out that vision through relationships, programming, and collaboration with other staff and volunteers. The Director of youth ministry will be the main innovator and lead teacher for students and their families at Trinity. The Director of Youth Ministries will facilitate and equip our students to be the Church within their families, schools, and extra-curricular activities while providing a Sabbath space for students while they are within the walls of the church.
- Develop and implement impactful and engaging programming opportunities for students in grades six through twelve.
- Develop and lead Sunday night youth small groups and worship.
- Develop, empower and support a team of adult leaders who will shepherd students in all aspects of our ministries.
- Develop and nurture student leadership with the intent that students are able to be in ministry to one another.
- Develop and maintain a volunteer pool within Trinity, not limited to parents with students currently active in the ministry.
- Collaborate with the Discipleship Director to provide opportunities for parent encouragement and support.
- Provide pastoral care for youth and their families.
- Work with the Director of Mission and Justice to provide students and their families with mission opportunities, locally, in the broader United States, and abroad.
- Network with Huntsville area youth ministers and the North Alabama conference to broaden and enhance our ministry to youth.
- Utilizing a collaborative mission driven investment approach, develop, implement and manage an annual budget for the ministry to Youth and their families which clearly tells the story of Trinity's investment in students.
- Recruit, supervise, and intentionally guide Youth Ministry Interns as they lead and learn in a ministry setting with the internship being a vital milestone in Trinity's ministry to youth and college students.
- Collaborate with the Engagement team, Discipleship team, Mission Committee, Worship committee, and other Trinity volunteers and staff to integrate Youth Ministry into the full life of the church.
- Prepare and maintain a calendar of Youth activities to be communicated to the church and community in a timely fashion in collaboration with staff and volunteers.
- Communicate and promote opportunities, events, and ministries within the scope of this position, within both the congregation and the broader community.
- Collaborate with the Program Ministry Team and the Discipleship Team to make youth programming consistent and complementary to all areas of programming.
- Collaborate with the program ministry team for large church and community events such as Fall Carnival, the Easter Eggstravaganza and other seasonal efforts.
- Attend weekly staff meeting and communicate Youth Ministry needs to others on staff.
- Applicants must have a commitment to Jesus Christ and the desire and ability to foster faith development in others, particularly youth and their families.
- Commitment to the theology and teachings of the United Methodist Church.
- Energetic leadership, with strong relational skills with both youth and adults.
- Administrative and communication skills to manage a multi-faceted program in a large church setting.
- Commitment to the success of every ministry of the church.
- Minimum of five years relevant experience working directly with youth.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including online.
- Ability to pass a background check screening.
- Educational requirements: A Bachelor's degree with an understanding of human development is required. A Master's degree from a theological seminary and training in youth ministry and/or Christian education is preferred.
- Able to speak in a public forum and to hear in conversations and large gatherings.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee may occasionally have to drive.
- Able to move freely through the church buildings.
- Able to work on feet for up to three hours at a time, set up tables and chairs, lift up to 45 pounds, and participate in indoor and outdoor activities.
- Able to participate directly in youth programming - e.g. playing games, doing outdoor activities like biking, swimming, etc., as well as sleeping in ad hoc settings like school gyms, tents, cabins, etc.
Position: full time salaried, benefits included
Compensation based upon experience
Minimum 5 years' experience required
Supervisor: Director of Discipleship