Full Time (40 - 45 hours) | Effective Immediately
Reports to Associate Lead Pastor (Accountable to the Lead Pastor & Board of Elders)
The Pastor of Student Ministries will work with the Associate Lead Pastor as a vision-caster, developer, and overseer for all student ministries (5th-12th grade) and young adult ministries here at Crosspoint. While this individual will be responsible for the programming of these ministries, a significant focus will be investing in students and leaders by equipping and coaching them to become reproducing disciples who pursue a growing relationship with Jesus (UP), live into community (IN), and join God’s work in the world (OUT).
We believe students are not only the church of tomorrow but part of the church today. They need a web of Christ-centered people who care about them more than a flashy program to consume. The ideal candidate for this position will be able to create a fun yet safe environment where students will be vulnerable with what’s really happening in their lives and where they are on their faith journey.
Our primary ministry structure for discipling students includes an engaging large group time, but the main focus is on small groups led by volunteer leaders. The right person for this job needs to be a competent leader who can invest in a team of volunteers while also possessing the skills necessary to create a fun and engaging environment. They will also need to be able to connect with parents and other people in our church and community.
As a member of our staff team, this individual will also need to be willing to occasionally preach, teach, and fulfill other pastoral responsibilities when necessary. Emotional maturity, self-awareness, a willingness to own up to mistakes, and a desire for collaboration with other departments are all essential pieces of thriving on our staff team.
Are you the right person for us?
- Are you growing in the character and competency of Jesus?
- Do you have a heart for reproducing disciples who can make disciples?
- Are you passionate about students coming to know Jesus personally and seeing their world through a Kingdom lens?
- Are you willing to set other people (small group leaders and parents) up for significant discipleship moments when possible?
- Do you care about helping students stay connected to Jesus and the church after they graduate from your ministry?
- Are you willing to tolerate and even encourage uncomfortable conversations in order to help students process what’s really going on in their lives?
- Are you excited about equipping people to live into God’s mission?
- Are you able to lead from the front of the room and the back of the room?
- Are you wanting to shift from passive consumerism to active engagement?
- Are you an innovator, willing to try new things, fail and take risks?
- Are you a lifelong learner who takes your personal growth and development seriously?
- Are you able to embrace conflict as part of personal & relational transformation?
- Do you like to laugh and have fun while being productive?
Leadership Development: Help develop and equip our team of student ministry leaders and other key leaders/volunteers by providing further training for their current positions of leadership and investment in their personal growth. This also includes recruiting new leaders and providing opportunities for students and other people to serve in student ministry.
Student Connection: Meet regularly with students (at least 1 - 2x / week), attend student events (approximately 1/week during the school year), follow up with new students within the week, and make sure absent students are followed up with by someone.
Mid-week Programming: Oversee our midweek small groups for students on Wednesday nights. This includes providing curriculum, planning fun games, teaching and coordinating service opportunities.
Sunday Programming: Responsible for Sunday morning Middle School Bible Study every week.
Preaching & Teaching: Be one of the primary speakers at student events and occasionally preach at our adult weekend services if necessary (1 - 2x / year)
Special Events: Collaborate with other staff to lead our interactive and family-oriented holiday services (Jingle Jam & Easter Jam) and community partnership events (Kids Fest & Moonlit Movies). Work with Associate Lead Pastor in the planning and execution of retreats, conferences, missions trips and outreach events.
Communication: Regularly communicate with parents through the weekly newsletter, periodic parent surveys, and a yearly parent meeting. Communicate openly with the Associate Lead Pastor about any challenges, roadblocks, and safety issues concerning students or leaders. Small group leaders each week should know what’s happening and what’s expected of them.
Student Integration: Contribute to and collaborate with the broader church for meaningful, intentional, and mutual ways to connect students to the Church. Draw upon experience and research to help the church staff, leaders, and congregation understand the unique needs, challenges and strengths of Generation Z and Generation Alpha.
Ministry Budget: Work with the Associate Lead Pastor to create and manage the student ministry budget.
Young Adults: Help lead and shape the Young Adults ministry with the Associate Lead Pastor.
Pastoral Duties: Engage in pastoral duties such as officiating at weddings and funerals, counseling, hospital visitations, etc.
Church Collaboration: Collaborate with other ministries where appropriate to help build a sense of continuity between different areas of the church, especially within the next generation ministries. Depending on workload, skillset and church needs, other responsibilities might be added.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- 2 years of full-time ministry experience
- Licensing and/or Ordination with the Christian & Missionary Alliance is preferred but not required. Use of the title "Pastor" denotes requisite credentialing by the Christian & Missionary Alliance. People who lack this credential will operate under the title "Director of Student Ministries" until receiving the necessary credentialing.