Principal Function: The Youth Minister will disciple youth in spiritual growth to develop a life-long and sustaining faith. The person in this role will lead youth ministries at SJD by building relationships and community, developing an atmosphere of belonging, modeling and teaching Biblical principles, as well as encouraging worship and community outreach. The Youth Minister will create and lead ministry events and become actively involved in the life of our church. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position which is exempt from overtime pay. The regular schedule is Sunday through Thursday with flexibility required for evening and weekend commitments.
Responsible to: Director of Family Ministries
Qualifications for this Position:
- Evident personal Christian faith with a desire to develop faith in others.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient understanding of the challenges and needs of today's youth combined with an affinity to serve young people.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills, evidenced by the ability to build trust with teens.
- Ability to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Excellent organizational skills for managing events, programming, and building teams of volunteers.
- Willingness to "think outside the box" of traditional youth ministry.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with social media.
- Commitment to support the mission of The Church of St. John the Divine and the Episcopal Church.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher level of education.
- Three + years of ministry and/or educational experience.
- Proven experience in leading Bible studies or other Biblical teaching.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Develop and lead youth programs and curriculum to equip students for a life of faith beyond graduation.
- Build consistent and supportive relationships with students through multiple contact points, including regular attendance at community and school events.
- Grow participation in youth ministry by recruiting youth attending SJD and local schools.
- Recruit, train, and direct the activities of youth ministry volunteers.
- Create, plan, organize, and execute youth activities (including small group ministries, Bible studies, social functions, retreats, mission trips, etc.). Set the calendar for youth activities and events in coordination with the overall church calendar.
- Develop ties with parents to support youth faith formation.
- Collaborate with other ministries to integrate youth into the full life of the church
- Pray with and for youth and their families.
- Maintain an inclusive culture for our youth and students that is welcoming and fun while providing depth and support.